Three has always been a good number for me. I was the last of three children born in my family. I was born in the third month. It was my oldest brothers soccer number and then it was mine for the thirteen years I played soccer. Me and my brothers are all three years apart from eachother. Phil is 25. Greg is 22. I am 20. Sometimes it works out to be three years sometimes its two.
I feel so blessed to have grown up with brothers instead of sisters. Sure there are somethings I missed out on-- like makeup lessons or girl advice but I think I gained so much more. Everyone says having brothers is not the same and I know thats the truth. Some days I long for a sister to influence my feminine side. My brothers have ALWAYS supported me though.
Phil was there to give me his version of the sex talk when I was seventeen.
"Shorty you want to go for a drive?"
"Sure why not...Im sooo bored."
We get in car....
"I can't believe your going to Africa soon."
"Yea I can't wait!"
Were sitting at red light on Araphoe.
"So uh... I don't know if your sexually active or anything but, when you go to Africa don't have sex! Because you can get AIDS and die."
"Bahahahahaha, yes that was my plan all along. Eww. Were done."
"So what movie should we rent?"
And Greg letting me know I shouldn't die in Africa.
Were at airport and I am hugging everyone goodbye. It's only 10 days and it's only Africa I thought it was no big deal apparently my family didn't agree.
I go in to hug Greg.
"Shorty don't die in Africa your one of the few people I actually care about" I smiled.
And them more recently...
I called my brother Phil who goes to Law school in DC to get some advice. I told him I was considering transfering and that I was scared and confused. I even started crying on the phone. I expressed my concernes about living back at home with Mom and Dad and about making new friends at Metro. He eased my fears telling me that people are always attracted to me, that I have a fun and freindly personality and that no matter where I go in life I will always make friends. "People just like you Shorty." Every time I get nervous about starting at a new school I think back to the conversation and feel reassured that I will make friends.
Greg and I have spent more tiome in the house together than me and Phil did so I have a different bond with him. He has always supported me around the rest of my family.He has stood up for me all the times my Mom has called me ugly. Then the other day out of nowhere he just starts off by saying, "I'm completely sober Shorty and i'm going to tell you the truth something I would normally only admit when i'm drunk." he laughs and goes on to praise me out of nowhere for being a good person, "your a genuinely good person, you don't do it for praise you do it because you know it's right. Your not like most people in the world. Your one of the good ones." I was a little surprised I could only mumble um thanks.
Three has always been a good number for me. Cheers to the people who have made me believe this is true.
No comments:
Post a Comment
☮I just wanted to say...